We have always raised money for charity. The event is run by volunteers and we give all proceeds to charity.
The event was started up as a fundraiser for the Scouts and Guides to build a new hut after the original one was burned down. For about 12 years it raised funds to build and then support the Scouts and Guides. Over this time we used the event as an opportunity for other’s to also raise funds – for example Alvechurch Cricket Club and Barnt Green Sports Club have run the bar and take the profits, and other groups such as Trefoil sell food and refreshments. We always look at ways in which groups can help themselves to raise money and are happy to have a chat if you are interested in being part of the event.
We support a real variety of organisations with funds that we raise, both national and local charities. Many of these charities are close to our hearts, but all of them do amazing work. Here are some of the groups we have directly donated to from previous years:
- Primrose Hospice – a local hospice that helps so many people through incredibly difficult times. This charity is close to our hearts as they supported a great friend of the Bonfire.
- Cancer Research UK – another charity close to our hearts.
- Fisher House – a charity helping families of injured soldiers staying at Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Motor Neurone Disease – through the Stanley Family we have had so much support over the years and we are happy to be able to support a cause so close to their hearts.
- Redditch Night Stop – a local charity helping young people at risk of homelessness, making a massive difference to their lives.
- CASBA – a Northfield based charity offering advocacy support to people with learning difficulties.
This year we are giving to even more charities. Thanks to the generosity of the field owners for letting us use the land, there is a donation going to Focus Humanitarian Assistance, so the money you help raise will go even further than before.
We will also be looking for other charities that could use just a little extra, either for a particular project or to help them reach people in need. If you are a local charity that could apply for funding please drop us a line.